View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLT223 View Post
I shoot about the same volume and calibers you do, OP. The only press I have ever had is an XL650, so I can't compare to others. It works pretty well for me. I have found any priming issue has to do with how well anchored the press is to the bench / table, and how smoothly the machine operates. The latter is very much effected by the brass being cycled. Brand new brass that's perfectly clean tends to be a bit grabby in the sizing die, and can really grab onto the expander. If that happens, and the press isn't rock solid to the bench, and the bench to the floor, the negative g-force of a stuck case releasing from a die can cause the primers to jump creating an opportunity for them to flip sideways/over.

I have two solutions for this: About 500lbs of bullet inventory on my bench shelves, and let my corn cob media get carboned up. Used media seems to put a dry film on the cases that makes them slide through the dies as if the are conventionally lubed.
I understand the importance of a solid bench. I keep heavy tool boxes under mine to keep it from moving. Rock solid.

I also have experienced the sticking problem with new brass. I also tumble new brass in used media to slick it up. It works real well.