View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 03:18 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,245 Times in 830 Posts

A link with some good information for study: L&R Ultrasonic Cleaning and Lubricating Systems

I collect and therefore have to work on antique clocks in my collection. I use an L&R unit. They make a good ultrasonic and recognized as a quality unit in the industry.

Here are some things to think about in your decision process. It is best to disassembly items down to the parts level. You have to use the right solution for the item you are cleaning. You not only have to use the cleaner, but you also need a rinse and lube solution as a second step in the ultrasonic. The rinse and lube will remove the chemicals from the cleaning process and place the lube removed from the surface. It will also need your standard oil and grease for the interaction between parts. After cleaning, you will need to blow off the moisture. After the rinse cycle, you will once again need to blow and dry the parts. The your standard oiling and grease on parts like slides.

You will want to be careful with what you use on items like night sights, and certain coatings on the finish. You will at least have to remove thinks like certain grips/stock from things like ivory, wood, bone and etc. Any special inlays could be damaged.

Using an ultrasonic is a great deep cleaning and sanitizing method especially for medical equipment. It is not necessarily a labor saving process.

There are many other things I have probably not touched upon.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: