View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default S&W Airweight

Last Saturday, March 11, 2017, I was privy to something I didn't realize was possible.
An older woman neighbor, had purchased a new S&W 637 Airweight from Sportsman's Warehouse. She had previously owned a Taurus .38 snubby, but really didn't know a lot about guns.
The person at SW, also sold her two boxes of Winchester .38 Super Auto +P, telling her this is what was needed for her new gun. She did not have a clue and took him at his word.

She called me up and asked if I would meet her out in the woods where she was trying out her new gun. After firing 5 rounds, she thought the recoil was way too much and called me requesting my assistance out there. Having little to do at that moment, I agreed and drove out to meet with her. Upon my arrival, she had already ejected the spent cases in the gravel and reloaded with another 5 rounds. I said well shoot a few more and I will listen and watch the gun recoil. She shot 3 more and I stopped her because her thumb was bleeding in the web area of her right hand. I told her it did sound very loud for standard .38 loads and the recoil was fierce for her.
She swung the cylinder open and I asked her to hand me the gun. I ejected the 3 spent cases and the two live ones.
That's when I realized that she had the wrong ammo. I also realized that she had an injury to the left thumb as well, because the right hand hurt and she tried shooting left handed. Both were cut open, from her hand sliding up onto the frame from the recoil. I stopped her from going any further, due to the danger I realized was imminent. She fired a total of 8 rounds. All loaded and ejected just fine, and none of the cases were split. I inspected the gun and it appears to be sound.
She took the ammo back to SW, told them what happened and they replaced that ammo with 5 boxes of .38 special and apologized for the screw up.