View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLT223 View Post
I'd be curious to know, not first hand though, what exactly it takes to get a primer to go of on the deck of a press. I'm wondering because I certainly mangled, and I mean completely destroyed, a few primers when I started out. I was shocked to see the condition of the destroyed primers. I was surprised they didn't go off. Maybe I wasn't pushing the handle back fast enough to get a reaction? I go easy on the back stroke (primer seating on a 650) as a precautionary measure.
Just from what I read, somehow in the process a primer is pinched or crushed in the press. It could be from trying to insert a primer in a case that already has one, trying to put large primer in a small primer pocket (you have to love the guy that decided to put small primer pockets in 45 ACP), priming a case that has a primer crimp that wasn't removed, trying to load a sideways primer or primer that just gets somewhere where it shouldn't. The list can go on. I guess whether it goes off depends on what's happening and the force applied. It also may depend on the primer brand being used. Some are more sensitive than others. There is also some luck (or bad luck) involved. The key is how the press reacts and how the force is contained.

Last edited by cds43016; 03-17-2017 at 05:32 PM.