View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

The Speer 135 grain loads were originally marked for short barrels. However, it is my understanding that boxes of more recent manufacture do not have that description printed. The understanding is that this ammunition is that which was originally marked for short barrels. Either way, I think it is a very good choice (among others) for use in snubby revolvers.

Another very good choice is the 158 grain LSWCHP (the original loading called the FBI load for the .38 Special). Recent manufactured ammo of this type is, I think, found only made by Remington and Winchester. This ammo is reported to be somewhat less powerful than the original loadings. Buffalo Bore does indeed make this ammunition in what they call Standard Loads as well as in +P Loading. Their website shows performance information for this ammo in several different barrel lengths and is stated to result from shooting the specific gun used to obtain the results. I think the standard load is fully the equal of the original loadings and perhaps a bit better. Buffalo Bore states emphatically that it is safe for any revolver chambered in .38 Special. In my experience, it is a great, if slightly expensive, and effective loading for the snub nosed revolver. It shoots to point of aim in my guns, but so does the Speer loads. I like both, but it's hard for me not to prefer that 158 grain lead bullet!