View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds43016 View Post
Just from what I read, somehow in the process a primer is pinched or crushed in the press. It could be from trying to insert a primer in a case that already has one, trying to put large primer in a small primer pocket (you have to love the guy that decided to put small primer pockets in 45 ACP), priming a case that has a primer crimp that wasn't removed, trying to load a sideways primer or primer that just gets somewhere where it shouldn't. The list can go on. I guess whether it goes off depends on what's happening and the force applied. It also may depend on the primer brand being used. Some are more sensitive than others. There is also some luck (or bad luck) involved. The key is how the press reacts and how the force is contained.
This is the point, crushing a primer slowly does nothing. I have done it dozens of times. Crush it flat, anvil up or down, crush it sideways, nothing. I suspect 99% of primer detonations is the user forcing the priming issue by slamming the press handle forward. This is exactly how a primer is designed to fire, by impact.
I load every primer on my 650, even the Federal, when I can find them. Just don't use the handle as a mallet, slow steady pressure & you will never have a detonation. Well never say never, again, people do win the lotto.
Fwiw, i have the occasional sp 45 get in my 650, you feel it right away. The only way that primer fires is if you slam the handle forward & force it. That is a user error. Slow & steady, i still get 700rds in an hour.

Last edited by fredj338; 03-19-2017 at 08:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: