View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I understand fully, I run both presses. Possible, sure anything is possible, people get struck by lightning & win the lotto. I submit still, something else happened other than normal priming. I have crushed primers in my 650, never a detonation. Even if it did, the steel tube will protect the reloader better than anything Lee ever built. I do know several reloaders injured by detonations using their Lee however. Why Lee specifically states to NOT use Federal primers. I am pretty sure Dillon has no such admonition.
You make my point. People do get hit by lighting and win the lottery. It only needs to happen just once. Events shouldn't happen but they do.

My goal is to produce the highest quality ammunition in the safest way possible. People can get hurt reloading if they are not careful and constantly diligent regardless of the equipment they use. Most equipment today is high quality regardless of brand. The real variable is the person using it. I want to go faster but I will not sacrifice safety nor quality to do so. I will also not go out of my comfort zone just to reach some number. Off press priming and making sure the powder level is safe is my comfort zone. Also the more things that happen at a time, the greater likelihood of a lapse.

Other people’s comfort zone may be different. That’s OK but this is mine. I just want to use the best equipment available.

The times I posted were total times, from the time I enter the reloading room to the time I turn out the lights. Not dead slow but not fast either. The dog doesn’t get through the door until his tail does. Most estimates don’t include the ancillary and preparatory tasks around reloading. My estimates do. I try to be very diligent and careful when I reload maybe to a fault. But I know when I go to the line, I have the best and safest ammunition that I can possibly produce.

In my match days, I saw a few squibs on the line and an overcharge. Fortunately, no one was hurt. For these to happen there was a lapse somewhere. That’s why I never shoot reloads done by someone else. I don’t know the diligence they took. I also don’t want these events to occur just because I was in a hurry to reload. Yet, if can go a bit faster without comprising quality and staying within my comfort zone, I’m for it. That was the reason for my inquiry.

There is a lot of expertise and experience here.