View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I understand fully, I run both presses. Possible, sure anything is possible, people get struck by lightning & win the lotto. I submit still, something else happened other than normal priming. I have crushed primers in my 650, never a detonation. Even if it did, the steel tube will protect the reloader better than anything Lee ever built. I do know several reloaders injured by detonations using their Lee however. Why Lee specifically states to NOT use Federal primers. I am pretty sure Dillon has no such admonition.
I don't understand it, either. He's got a whole tirade about Federal primers in his book, and then suggests only loading 20 or 25 primers at a time in the on-press device.

I think his big thing was not having all the primers in a line. At any point in the Lee on-press priming tool, no primer is ever facing another primer.

I understand what Lee was saying, but I don't particularly agree with it.

*shrug*

People have been injured by primer detonations in all makes and model of press and priming tool. And they've been injured by being idiots. It's not that I don't care or think that all designs are equally "safe"...the design just isn't the focus of safety, imo.

Hence, I don't handle primers carelessly, and I always wear safety glasses when I load. Costs me nothing, and might save me a lot.

I do ignore the aforementioned warning about Federals. I load 50-100 primers at a time, whether they're large or small, and whether they're Federal, CCI, or Winchester.

I really like the Lee on-press priming tool. Refilling primers takes just a minute--the tray in the device doubles as a flipper. And I don't have to mess with primer tubes or strips or anything.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: