View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 AM

Liked 968 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasino View Post
lol, do you have neighbors next to you? I think I would only pull my AR out of the safe for home defense that required mob control.AR's sure are the difference-makers!, but for most use I would be too worried about hitting innocents next door. Generally I just take my carry gun out of my pocket when I get home and set it on the table next to me for home protection, it's sort of goes wherever I go in the house. It's a 38 + p LCR.
Actually a little 55gr bullet (even one traveling at twice the speed of a handgun bullet) doesn't have the mass to penetrate walls, doors and windows like you would think. A 5.56 will penetrate just about the same as a 9mm through drywall.
The biggest issue with an AR for home defense is how bulky it is. Yes, compared to a rifle the AR carbine platform is light and short, but is it short enough to use while struggling with someone or at "bad breath" distances?
A pistol can effectively be used from distances of 0' out to 50' (that pretty much covers any possible use inside most houses unless you have an indoor bowling alley), while a long gun can not really be considered useful any closer than 3'. For me, the 3' around me is very critical space that needs defending more than any other space in the house.

Last edited by hostler; 03-18-2017 at 03:21 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: