View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 AM

Liked 1,721 Times in 630 Posts
Default 640 Mods: Grips & Springs

Took my new-to-me 640 to the range yesterday and was very impressed and pleased. The 12-13+ lb trigger was smooooth...and it was easy to shoot with 158 gr. LRN and not too bad with Gold Dot 125 gr. +P HPs.

I could easily leave the gun as is....but am curious about two things:

Longer Grips. It has Hogues on it now...but they are what I think are "compact," that is the bottom strap with the serial number is visible. I'd like longer ones as I hate tucking my pinkie under and I think I could be more accurate with more to hold on to. My question: what's a good set of "longer" grips....Hogue is fine, Pachs would be too as would wood...if anyone could suggest a model name or number of any brand/maker it would be appreciated.

Next are new springs. I'd like to bring the pull down to about eight or nine pounds and I see Apex offers J-Frame Duty/Carry spring set that's supposed to lower pull by about 3 pounds. Install looks not too bad...and as long as I'm changing grips might as well change springs. Anyone have experience or opinion about this change.

I'd forgotten how much fun shooting these guns is...I gave my two snubbies to my boys a year ago and when one came up in a trade offer I couldn't resist.

thanks in advance.
The Following User Likes This Post: