View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 AM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts

I guess I will wade into this. I am personally a fan of Smiths and 1911s, with a mission specific Mauser HSc. In one respect, I think that many here missed a wise move on the OP's part. In many respects, if I HAD to use a sidearm in self defense, I would rather lose a piece of Tupperware than one of my prized sidearms.

Working as a range safety officer last week at my club's GSSF match helped to bring me back to reality, though. Of the about 100 or so shooters that passed through my station, few shooters could clear the plates in much under 10 seconds with just 6 shots. That got me thinking. About 25 years ago, I belonged to a club that had a Wednesday night fun night, where one night was PPC, another bullseye, another plates, and another bowling pins. On the plates and pins, I was able to regularly clean the table using my K38s or my 27 (fired SA) with never more than 6 shots in under 10 seconds. Many people used Glock 17Ls with a reload to clear the 5 plates or pins. I am of the belief that I can do well with my wheelguns.

At that time, ages ago, I was given the opportunity to try a 17L. It just didn't fit my hand well, and I wasn't able to hit consistently with it. At that time, I realized, to each his own.

Personally, I hope that I never have to use one of my prized sidearms in self defense, because I can't bring myself to accept losing one if I have to defend myself. In this instance, for me, that is the only reason that I would consider Tupperware.