View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 11:29 AM

Liked 228 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
If I was not already a gun enthusiast would I have gone out and purchased a gun and trained to carry absent any other interest in guns? I really don't know the answer to that.

There's probably a lot of threats to my life that are far more likely that I don't spend near the time, attention, effort or money on compared to gun carry. I know guys who are morbidly obese, puff on cigs and gulp down Cokes all day who would not think about going anywhere unarmed to protect themselves from bodily harm. One guy at the club looked like he wasn't going to survive the walk on a hot summer day to hang his target.. yet bent my ear for an hour about survival preparedness. So... whatever.

I love that you pointed this out. For some, it's just a hobby, others it's part of a way of life, and there are as many other reasons to have or carry a gun as there are ways and types of guns to carry. For some, it's a false sense of safety when they haven't changed the batteries in their smoke detectors, checked their fire extinguishers, or checked their cholesterol since God only knows when. It's like that "part of a complete breakfast" thing they always say at the end of cereal ads - sure, Lucky Charms are awesome, but you have to do all the other stuff to take care of yourself too.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: