Thread: 617 .22 lr
View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 11:40 AM

Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts

I bought my 17 in 1982, I think?? Too far back to remember... With the long tom barrel, it has been flawless from the start and is the finest revolver I have ever owned - among many. Still, 22 ammo quality varies a lot and does have some impact on experience at the range. I had some case sticking issues in the past and did not like pounding them out with my palm, so I took it to a good smith who gently honed the chambers and the problem has only happened very occasionally since. The residue build-up solution has been spoken to and I agree - bring a range brush, as these guns can eat a lot of ammo in a session with resultant fowling getting pretty bad.

Today, my biggest issue - which is minor in terms of functional problems - is that the ejector rod rotates out of the threaded position every two cylinders and can jam the crane if I don't give it a pinch to re-seat it. I do this subliminally now and don't even notice. Like me, it's getting old.

The comment about short stroking the trigger in DA mode is something to consider. I've done that with my M60 and former M66, both of which are made for defensive shooting and should be exercised that way in rapid combat training. Problems can happen, as evidenced by the recent breakage of the hammer nose (firing pin) on the 60 - going to the smith today..

The 17's and 617's are more target/small game oriented handguns and single action fire is the best and most reliable method of use, IMO. When operated in SA, the accuracy is astounding over any distance that a .22 round can be landed.

I hope S&W comes through for the OP.