Thread: 617 .22 lr
View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 PM

Liked 2,530 Times in 795 Posts

I had the same problem as the OP when testing different ammo. The cheap stuff was so dirty that after one cylinder the chambers would not extra the cases unless I clean the gun with a brass brush. That same junk will get under the star and cause problems with the trigger.

Keep it clean and use good ammo. CCI in any variety will work flawlessly in my 617. So does Federal Automatch. I count on the ammo to work every time because I'm shooting Steel Challenge matches and can't afford to have the gun not fire or be able to reload when needed.

I can run about 500 rounds of the good ammo without having to clean the cylinders or under the star.

My gun is also tuned very well. It has a 7 lb double action trigger and will reliably fire the ammo I suggested.

The worst ammo I tried : Thunderbolts, Armscorp, Aguila, Winchester.

Bring a brush with you to the range and do a quick cleaning often and that should solve your problems.

Smith will send you back a gun in perfect working order. After that you need to take care of it. Break it in like a new car. Run good ammo for at least 500 rounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 617 for posting.jpg (274.4 KB, 20 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: