View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Liked 9,976 Times in 2,065 Posts
Default Possible Jovino 28-2 .44spl **Update Post 35 w/range visit**

**Update-Ok well I went to the range, fired 6 rounds, did pretty good, emptied the cylinder, put 6 more in and I ended up with a "2 shooter". After every two rounds it would bind. I could open the cylinder no problem. When I looked on the bench I found shavings from the bullets. Upon closer inspection I saw that one of the extractor pins from the back of the cylinder was missing (it was there when I bought it). The timing is off so I'm assuming that's the reason for the shavings. No idea though why it would bind after only two rounds-by that I mean the action would not cycle in either double or single though again I was able to open the cylinder just fine. In dry fire the gun cycles perfectly, hmm.

Today, Saturday, I was able to drop it off at a gunsmith I trust and that's done other work for me in the past on S&Ws. Didn't feel it'd be a big deal to get straightened out though the shop is a little busy right now. Probably be 2-3 weeks before I get it back. I'll update then, trying not to get too down about it. Hey the gun is almost 40 years old with an unknown use history so it's acceptable. The seller has agreed to pay for getting it fixed so we're all good.**

Well on a whim I went to the Tanner show outside of Denver today to just look around. I did see more older Smiths at this show than I have in the past-a few original 1917s, 66 no dash, 25." 66-2 and -4, a couple of early 15s and a few 19s from -3 up to -7.

I was going to back for a 22-4 when I spotted a friend that usually has nice things. He had the two 66 snubs, I was going to make a deal on the -2 when I noticed this big snub tucked in the corner of his display box. Hmm, short barrel, round butt 28-2 with what I think are Ahrends grips. He said he got it in a group of a few guns from a guy "up in the mountains" ahaha but on the hang tag it's marked "Jovino Custom". Well now I really had to look. I was almost drooling, to my untrained eye it has the "tells"-barrel profile, ball/detent on the crane so we made a deal. The ramp is definitely red, not as orange as it looks in the photos.

If any one can help with your more knowledgeable eyes I'd greatly appreciate it. Serial number is N5153XX. Here are few quick cell pics (the specks are just dust particles, it's almost flawless):

Last edited by S&W Fan; 03-30-2017 at 02:09 PM.
The Following 50 Users Like Post: