View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
I used to shoot at a "no reloads allowed" range.

I shot hand loaded plated RN bullets - I just brought them to the range in previously used Speer Lawman ammo boxes. Since Speer Lawman always has FMJ or TMJ bullets, a TMJ is what they saw if they ever bothered to inspect them. It was a total non problem.

If the range operator ever suspects anything, he's not likely to say anything as he's got plausible deniability, and it's as much or more about limiting his liability if some moron's handholds "kaboom" as it is about selling you ammunition.

----

I do not have a problem with a ban on lead bullets on an indoor range. It has nothing to do with what happens at the back stop, it's about what happens at the gun.

The lubes used on most cast bullets do create a fair amount of smoke and a couple shooters emptying 15 round magazines in rapid fire can temporarily overwhelm the ventilation system and smoke the place up a bit. In that regard I can see some reasoning behind a cast bullet ban.

If you've shot cast bullets in a revolver, you'll note some lead deposited on the forcing cone, and possibly on the top strap, so you know there is at least some small lead particles being thrown out the cylinder gap, Also, not all the lead that's been gas cut off the base of a lead bullet in a pistol or revolvers stays in the bore - some of it is also coming sideways out the muzzle.

That lead at the shooter end of the range is a problem, particularly when you have to rely on forced air ventilation to draw the contaminants downrange. That lead in the air isn't clearing any faster than the smoke from the lube.

For the occasional customer it may not be a problem, for it can be a big deal for a range staff and the range officers that end up having to have blood tests for lead levels every six months or so.
I agree. Grab a couple of empty boxes of factory ammo and put your reloads into there. What are they gonna do, inspect your brass stamps? I haven't shot a box of factory in years and don't intend to.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: