View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
For range practice and most purposes, +1 loading is pointless. I have had students who were so eaten up with +1 loading that they could not get through a live-fire exercise for struggling with their gun.

If you want to load a "Barney bullet" for carry, use the process described above, and make sure the magazine is fully latched in. It is hilarious on the range when the magazine falls free at the first shot, maybe not so funny to the shooter.
Be aware that +1 loading requires more care (and more force) and tends to have more malfunctions.

And in case you are wondering, I load my Shield for carry with a 7-round magazine and load from an open slide: 6+1.
And I only carry the 7 round magazines because in shooting the Shield in IDPA/BUG because I discovered the 8 rounders are a PIA to speed reload the gun. If you want to find out how well your rig works under some (simulated) pressure, try shooting IDPA with it.
This maybe an issue in some guns but nothing I own has this problem. All mags are loaded to capacity and inserted on a closed slide. I've never heard of any instructor telling students to download by one and I've never seen this issue in any of the courses I've taken.

The guns i own are Glocks, Sigs, HKs and one 1911. Not counting the 1911 all others I have come in both double and single stack mags.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk