View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Liked 6,613 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
I have a few S&W pistols and all have the magazine disconnect feature. It's a feature I'm not a fan of and would like to remove it.

My question to the hive is, what do you guys normally do? Leave it or remove it ?
I carried one or another 3rd gen S&W as an issued duty weapon starting in '90, and I own several of them. All of them have the standard magazine disconnect/safety feature. I've neither felt it presented any particular risk, nor have I disabled it in any of my pistols.

As an armorer trained to repair and maintain 3rd gen pistols, I'm familiar with the design, function and normal operation.

Yes, I've heard all the usual arguments offered, for and against, by owners and enthusiasts ... and my personal 3rd gen's still have the original mag disconnect/safety feature.

Yes, S&W used to sell pistols to some agencies without the feature, at the specific request of an agency.

FWIW, the feature has been documented as having saved the lives of cops, but I'm unaware of a single instance where it was actually documented that the feature caused a cop his/her life, or contributed to injury. Mas can offer some similar insight, I believe.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 03-19-2017 at 12:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: