View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Liked 1,582 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3guy View Post
IMO it would be worth your while to look in to some deals on older revolvers instead of going with the new "Classics". First, new revolvers are expensive. Second, some of the attributes of older revolvers, that make them special in the first place, can't be reproduced at any price.

Over the last few years, I have gotten really good deals on nice older revolvers. There seems to be a lot of gun owners out there who don't really understand (or care) that they have something special in there daddy's old gun collection. Consequently, they are trading them for 50 cents on the dollar for Glocks and other wonder nines. I have nothing against Glocks or other auto pistols. I just love revolvers.

I recently traded a Glock 21 for a vintage 1966 98% S&W Model 10-5. I picked up a 95% model 30-1 and a 99% Model 36 no dash for $680 total.

MSRP on a new Model 10 "Classic" is $739.
Your point is well taken. And the older Smith's are ALWAYS on my radar screen. I've got a minty K22 from right after the war, a 14-4 to go with it, a 29-2, a 63 no dash, 686-3, and recent 442. So yeah, if I can find a steal I'll jump on an older one. I was just not going to rule out a new Classics as surely they'd price a little below suggested retail.

Last edited by EricR; 03-19-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: old and forgetful