View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Liked 6,637 Times in 1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetr57 View Post
Back in post #4 reference is made to John Browning. Browning did not design the M12 Win. I believe that the designer was named Johnson.
One problem with the pre WWII 16 ga M12 is that it is not easily converted to 2 3/4" shells. The earlier 20 gauges can be converted by just reaming the chamber longer, but the 16 also requires that the ejection port be lengthened to get reliable ejection.

Skeeter is correct kind of. Winchester originally chambered the model 12's in 20 gauge only and in 2 1/2" chambering only. The time frame is off a bit. The short chambers changeover happened early. Then in 1914 both 16 gauge and 12 gauge chamberings were offered. The 12 gauge was offered in 2 3/4" chambering only. The 16 gauges were chambered in 2 9/16" length only. Then in 1927 Winchester changed the chamber length on all gauges to 2 3/4". I have not heard that 16's were harder to convert to the longer shells than the 20's. To me it would seem the opposite since the 20 had shorter shells, but I have never heard anything about either conversion, I just know it was a common practice.

POORDEVIL mentioned that his early 16 shoots 2 3/4" shells well and ejects well. He does not believe it was altered. It is easy to check. Remove the barrel and use a straight edge stainless ruler. Simply push the ruler down till it touches the forward edge of the chamber, then check the measurement.

Many people do not realise that shotgun shell are measured when the hull has been fired. A 2 3/4" loaded shell actually only measures @ 2 1/2" loaded. When the crimp expands on firing the hull had a place to "get out of the way". Twelve gauge guns with 2 3/4" chamberings can quite often chamber a loaded 3" shell. When shooting a 3" in a shorter chamber will not have a place for the lengthening case to get out of the way. The shot column must squeeze past the hull.

Last edited by 30-30remchester; 03-19-2017 at 02:49 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: