View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM

Liked 1,578 Times in 912 Posts

Also, there are more expensive versions of that rod available.

If cyanoacrylate/CA/Superglue will bond to aluminum, your best bet woud probably be to buy some ultra thin CA glue and use it to glue those cracks, instead. No torch needed. Being a non-stressed part, you just want to stabilize the crack and keep it from spreading.
I use BSI ultra thin CA glue. I buy it from Amazon, but hobby shops carry it, too. Excellent product, great for small cracks.
Great for gluing your fingers together, if you're not careful.
Much better quality than most "super" glues. Many of them are imported from China. Many of them are a mix of CA and PMMA (plexiglas) resins.
The CA/PMMA mix could be just what you need, depending on how much gap is in those cracks.
If the gap is small, go with the BSI ultra thin CA. It wicks into cracks very well and is hell for stout.
I use this particular CA glue
Insta-Cure | Super Glue | CA

I've used it to glue stamped sheet steel cooling shrouds back into the cast aluminum end housings of electric motors.
The motors would regularly reach temps 95 degrees C, because the customer was exceeding the duty cycle of the motors.
That's the entire reason I had to glue the shrouds back in. They were pressed in, from the factory. Thousands of hours of use and overuse, and overheating caused them to loosen and work their way back against the motor rotor.
I never had one come loose after gluing them back in.

Just a thought. May or may not be right for your needs. YMMV.

Also good for closing cuts in skin, after thoroughly cleaning/disinfecting. Be careful how much you get on your skin at one time. It gets hot as it cures, and if you get a large spill of it on your skin, it can burn you.

Last edited by Jaymo; 03-19-2017 at 06:10 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: