Thread: License Check
View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 PM

Liked 630 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSanch111 View Post
"Driver license" checkpoints? They're illegal as far as I know. Are you sure it wasn't a DUI checkpoint?

Never mind, I guess maybe they are legal....but they shouldn't be....
Yep, in NC they're "legal." All my interactions with Leo in NC have been equally pleasent.

Quote:
...North Carolina takes this a step further and allows random checkpoints to detect violations of any motor vehicle law as long as the specific purpose of the roadblock is to detect traffic violations. They cannot be used for general crime control, but can be used to detect unobservable motor vehicle violations such as unlicensed or suspended drivers and vehicle registration issues. No warrant is required, all they need is a written policy for stopping and questioning drivers in a set pattern that removes the discretion of individual officers. Typically the policy will say stop every vehicle and have a contingency that says something like stop every 10th vehicle if traffic begins to back up. In theory, it should eliminate an officer’s ability to single out people based on sex, race, ethnicity, social status etc. The policy does not have to be on-hand and they can adopt the policy of another agency, It’s a pretty loose standard...
Can the police use random checkpoints in North Carolina? | MINICK LAW

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kodiakco; 03-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: