View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Liked 12,670 Times in 3,374 Posts

I've carried PP's and PPK/S pistols as well as 1 7/8" 2 1/8" and 3" J and J Magnum frame revolvers.

I've found both to be equally concealable and comfortable to carry in an IWB holster, but the PP series pistols have the edge if you need to use a shoulder holster.

The PP series pistols have a DA trigger that is around 12 pounds, but the SA pull is nice, and once you master a PP series pistol it is very accurate for a pocket sized pistol. The PP series can put lead on target frightfully fast in .32 ACP, but the greater recoil of the .380 ACP tends to slow down the follow up shots slightly.

It is still however better able to score more hits in a fixed amount time than a J frame .38 or .38 +P, PP series reloads are easier to carry concealed and are faster to load, even if you are well practiced with a speed loader.

And, you get 6+1 in the PPK, and 7+1 in the PP and PPK/S pistols, compared to just 5 in the J frame.

Consequently, I tend to give the nod to the PP series pistols in terms of effectiveness, but I don't feel under gunned with a J-frame either.

In that regard, a 3" J frame is just as concealable and comfortable to carry IWB as a 1 7/8" J frame and the longer barrel gives a .38+P load a decisive edge over the .380 ACP.

However, if you step up to the 6 shot K frame .357 Mag with a 2 1/2" or 3" barrel, like the Model 13, Model 65 or Model 66, you'll have a revolver that is easier to shoot accurately and can handle .357 Mag with reasonable comfort.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: