View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,878 Times in 3,632 Posts
Default YOU BETCHA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_conrad_0311 View Post
On my shooter pre-27, the grips are stamped with a close SN to the frame #. Is it possible that these grips shipped with the gun originally?
Here's how that works: The gun and the grips show up at "Final Assembly"----where the grips get matched up with their gun, get screwed on (That's the "Final Assembly" part.), the number gets scrawled on the box, the gun gets stuffed in the box, and the box gets pitched on the cart to go the vault------where it stays until the Shipping Picker snatches it up----good to go.

So----the nice little old lady in "Final Assembly" hadn't cleaned her specs too well that morning----and screwed on the wrong grips-----I mean, she's got a whole pile of them there. Right?! Well, maybe---maybe not---prove me wrong.

Here's what happened to mine: The nice little old lady put the grips on my 8" .32 caliber 1st Model Single Shot, grabbed a box for a 10" .22 caliber SS, wrote my number (14272) on the box, pitched my gun in, and pitched it on the cart for the vault. So far, so bad, but it gets worse.

The Shipping Picker comes along for a 10" .22 caliber SS, grabs that box, and heads for Shipping. Shipping writes down what it is and where it's going on the shipping sheet---------and off it goes. When it gets where it's going, the Receiving guy says, "Hey----they shipped us the wrong gun---what do I do with this?" The boss say's, "We can sell it---just put it in stock." And sure enough, they sold it.

Time passes------------------

A request for a "factory letter" finds its way to Mr. Roy (HISSELF). He grabs that shipping sheet we talked about earlier----and writes down what it says. That's what he does for each and every letter----rain or shine. He looks at the invoice too. Sometimes he looks at other stuff. Then he drops the letter in the mail. And then you get it.

And then you say "What the !!@##$%%^&***)( is this?!!" And there is no answer.

More time passes------

Roy feels your pain, goes the extra mile----even sends you a copy of the shipping sheet we talked about earlier. Sure enough, your super rare 8" .32 is really a somewhat common as dirt 10'' .22----says so----right there----black ink on white paper.

And your grips don't match, huh? Cheer up, things could be worse---and sure enough, things got worse.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 03-19-2017 at 09:02 PM.