View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 PM

Liked 4,294 Times in 2,106 Posts

Crimped Primer recesses and primers that have been pushed out and drawn back into the primer recess are two separate issues.

The first issue requires sorting out any S&B, Speer, or Nato headstamps for removal of the crimp.

The second issue is actually VERY EASY to solve. BTW when I first encountered this problem and came up with a solution I emailed Dillon and RCBS on what solved the problem of primer being carried back partially into the primer pocket and got no acknowledgement of my suggestion whatsoever. The problem is caused by a squared off extractor pin. What happens is that in cases where the pressure required to remove the primer is high enough the anvil inside the primer cup deforms in such a way that the pin is "pinched" by the deformation of the primer cup and anvil. The solution is actually very simple, use a Dremel to hold the decapping pin and some wet or dry 600 grit sandpaper to radius the tip of the decapping pin to a hemispherical shape. Being a bit OCD I also put a high polish on the tip using a felt wheel and a bit of diamond lapping compound but I would expect the finish produced by 600 grit sandpaper will do perfectly well.

BTW, I know that a change this minor doesn't seem like it would have any effect at all. However, pick your most problematic caliber and you'll find this actually does work.