View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 PM

Liked 307 Times in 195 Posts

Odd range of suggested primer pin shapes. For decades the standard Dillon dome-shaped served well in all applications. (I now only use Dillon dies).

About 8 years ago a rash of similar 'primer suck' was happening on a lot of my 38/357 brass. Finally tracked down solution to observe and remove 'the spur' Dillon tech was sure to be there. Yes it was, I had missed it somehow. And remedy was to shape back into the dome configuration. End of that problem.

Just Friday the Dillon tech guy said to SQUARE off the end of the decapper pin. Didn't help all that much. Haven't done the 'chisel bit' shape yet. Never thought of the high polish/reshape approach. Will also check pin diameter to confirm proper diameter.

Prior to filing it flat, the end was in normal domed shape with no spurs/etc.

Does anyone have the proper pin diameter handy?

I don't have any decrimping tool for "S&B, Speer, or Nato headstamps for removal of the crimp". So far in about an 80 case separation for next loading trial, I have about equal 'shiny' & 'non shiny' primers in 2 containers. And shiny versions are in 2 further breakdown, with a small handful of each, in crimped & non-crimped primer pocket style.