View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 AM

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo99 View Post
You want to get rid of something I have to steal my wife's red nail polish to accomplish?

Well guys, after reading all the input I've discovered that I've signed into a new websight with a swell lot of guys. I much appreciate the compliments and support. Thanks. Back in 1976 when I was 21, none of us could have ever imagined how these high polished blue guns would eventually come to be a collectible and beautiful relic of the past. The gun hasn't been fired in over 30 years. I have the original display case and brochure, and I'm now sorry that I hadn't chose the removable nail polish method instead!! That and my 6.5" nickle 29 from 1977 are my original pet guns (also unfired in 30 years) and I plan to die with them before I ever sell them.

If I had to choose a method, I'd guess that tig welding that gap closed, and filing/sanding it to the same contour as the partridge radius, and then bluing it would give the best results. But, I'd bet that the texture and bluing of that small patch would be noticeable. A smooth looking red plastic insert looks better then a bad patch job that tried to hide it. Worse yet, the smith could scratch or scuff up the gun while he has it in his possession, and really give me something to be sorry about. SOoooo..... I guess I'll just leave it the way it is. I really don't feel as bad about it now, after reading the compliments you guys provided and realizing not everyone sees everything from a purists standpoint. Thanks again.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: