View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePizza View Post
Titanium nitride seems to be all the rage for racegun accents and glock barrels, but not in many other circles. Has anyone tried applying it to MIM parts?

Kuhnhausen complains about MIMs susceptibility to corrosion, and that is often one of the selling points of TiN, and given that its fairly cheap, I am surprised I haven't seen it pop up on any S&W guns.

Of course its gaudy hell but hey, if its smoother, harder, and more resistant to the elements... I figured someone would give it a try.
Jerry Kuhnhausen is a pen name. AFAIK, it always has been. The 5th ed's updates are ghostwritten like every other shop manual in the series.

I've worn through the surface treatment on an early (1999 or 2000) mim 686 and in the decade or so the metal's been exposed (both the trigger and the hammer) it hasn't rusted. During that time it was my primary IDPA gun. I averaged 4 club matches per month from around 2007 to 2012. Some of the ourdoor matches were shot in the rain, and those that weren't we still had more humidity than most places (Alabama). I expect I would at the very least notice some spekling if corrosion were an issue.

I've had MIM parts (trigger, hammer, rebound) on another 686 melonited with no problem. Mahovsky will do hard chome on them as well. So if you live near salt water those are options. Otherwise just shoot it.