View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

What is your long term outlook on your lead situation? Can you harvest any range scrap, or is that impossible, or out of your range of comfort, or not worth your time, which is also valuable? From the money saving route of things, I've spent time setting up a trap at home to harvest lead, which makes the process cheaper, but also increases labor, and if you do use range scrap, I would always suggest ingot making. Also, if you continue to do this as a hobby, you might buy some of that extra equipment and setup at some point if your interest continues to grow. Also consider that wheel weights made of lead are under threat, and a good local source is best, but may not be around forever in some cases.

I'll second what's been said about not enough lead. I recycle my lead, and my stockpile grows when other people shoot into my trap, but even with my reserves and ability to recycle, when you get into a hot casting session and things are going smooth, it just never seems to ever be enough clean ingots laying around. When you're on fire, 40-50 pounds can be used in a single session if you work hard enough with a good pace, and you'll be driving back to the your lead source. I have about 200 pounds of lead in circulation in my trap, in ingots, and in made bullets, and even a cheapo like me considers getting a little more.
The Following User Likes This Post: