View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,796 Times in 475 Posts
Default New to me shotgun, Remington 870 Police, Winston Salem N.C. Surplus....

Near me is a Police Wholesaler, Town Police Supply of Collinsville, Va. They take a lot of police firearms in trade, and in turn sell them to sportsmen like me. I missed out recently on some Virginia Department of Corrections Remington 870 Express Magnum's, orange "Less Lethal" marked stocks, priced at a crazy low price of $125. So, when they got in some Remington 870 "Wingmasters" with slug barrels and rifle sights, trade ins from Winston Salem, N.C, Police Department, I put one on layaway.

Got it out today, I picked from a number of them to get one that didn't seem too worn, and had a good "WSPD" mark on the receiver. Price was $349, more than the orange stocked Express Magnums, but these look so much better. These came with a sling and buttstock shell carrier:

"WSPD" mark, trade ins from Winston Salem, N.C. PD:

At some point I might find pout what the "RS 58" mark means that follows "WSPD". Any ideas?

The price of $349 seemed reasonable giving what it would take to put one of these together from some other Remington 870 receiver. About ten years ago I put together a similar shotgun, starting with a pawn shop 870 Express Magnum ($240), a slug barrel with rifle sights ($100), sling, attaching hardware and buttstock shell carrier probably well over $40, and when I was done, it was still an "Express Magnum" and not a real Wingmaster.

I'll get a chance to shoot it later this week, I'll let you know how it wrings out.

By the way, their Virginia Department of Corrections S & W Model 64's are down to $279, "Norfolk Police Department" marked Glock 17's $399....

Last edited by canoeguy; 03-20-2017 at 04:23 PM.
The Following 21 Users Like Post: