View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM

Liked 1,741 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Now, the cylinder latch does not move freely. When i swing the cylinder into the frame, the cylinder latch stays forward and the action is locked (neither trigger nor hammer move). I have to physically pull the cylinder release latch backwards in order to seat it and to allow the gun to fire.

Any additional input on these issues would be helpful.
The latch is binding. It sounds like your side plate and/or mainspring are not properly seated and are too tight. Try taking the grips off, loosening the mainspring strain screw and ensuring the spring is properly seated in the frame, then tightening the screw. Don't over tighten it, and ensure the spring remains seated correctly in the frame as you tighten it (it will want to move to one side or the other as you tighten it). I would suspect this is the problem.

For the sideplate, don't overtighten it, especially the cylinder screw. The yoke should be captured by the screw, but the screw should not be ground into the yoke. It should be giving the yoke free play. None of the sideplate screws need to be anything but finger tight with a well fitted screw driver.

However, if you are getting light strikes after this, and it is a new gun, I recommend calling S&W for warrenty repair. If this is an older gun, I'd take it to a gunsmith and have them do a trigger job on it. They will tune it up and you'll end up with a super trigger that is 100% reliable, but it will cost a benjy.