View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,940 Times in 3,656 Posts

Well, how 'bout some non-information? It (a USMC variant) is NOT mentioned in the two books it should be---------if it's legitimate. (The books are SCSW 4, and History of Smith & Wesson.) At this point, amid myriad flashing red lights and waving red flags, methinks caution is the word of the day.

You've already noted some significant mitigating information----it's been in the family for 30+ years---so the flashing lights and waving flags are now yellow; and caution becomes intrigue---and any panic caused by the reds can be set aside while you wait for your letter.

If (IF) the letter treats with USMC heritage, it would seem we're all going to learn something----as we will if it doesn't.

As I sit and stare at the inscription, it was either stamped through the blue---or it's filled with paint. If it's stamped through the blue, it almost certainly is not factory (and no mention in the noted publications has already pretty much confirmed that). The apparent condition suggests it has seen little use/carry, and good care (neither common with military weapons---other than those of high ranking officers).

As to value, let's say $500-$700----without the inscription---less with it ---unless it becomes documented by the letter or other credible source. At that point, then poker's going up.

Let us know when the letter shows up----and what it has to say.

And now that I'm all but finished, I have a dim recollection of mention of a S&W distributor/dealer (and wife) with military AND Combat Masterpiece connection. If that dim recollection has merit, there will be those with less dim and more recollection who will likely pick up the ball and run with it.

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 03-20-2017 at 11:02 PM.