View Single Post

Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Liked 523 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model520Fan View Post
Getting back to the original post, his little video isn't so awful, except for the fact that he's wrong. The .45ACP cartridge has several advantages not shared by all of the other acceptable cartridges, and probably not all shared by any of the other acceptable cartridges.

First, and maybe least, it is a low-pressure cartridge. This may not make it a better cartridge than the 9mm Parabellum, which until recently was almost always used in pistols with pleny of metal around the sensitive areas, but some would say that it does make it a better cartridge than the .40 S&W, which otherwise is probably its equal, and has had some pressure-related problems.

Second and subsequent, it is chambered in the 1911, which is slimmer than most guns, fits smaller hands better than most full-size autos, can be carried more easily than many or most other full-size autos, and, FWIW, can be detail-disassembled more easily than perhaps any other pistol.

Aside from the fact that he's wrong, he does bring up some interesting views. However, they are not uncontestable.
I love the 1911 but technology has come a long way in the past century. Virtually any modern single stack auto will be just as slim, much lighter and easier to carry, without needing a manual safety.

I still carry my 1911 sometimes but it's rarely my first choice these days.