Thread: Steel case 223
View Single Post

Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
OK, bottom line. Basic math.

If you wear out the barrel after 7K rounds of steel cased bi-metal jacket rounds, at roughly $200+ shipped per 1000 rounds, you have saved roughly $700 over even basic reloads at $300 a thousand.

That $700 buys you a VERY nice barrel that a gunsmith installs for you, so no work at ALL for you, and still have a few hundred left over.

Basic math. So, if the ACCURACY is sufficient for you, shoot the bi-metal bullets and get on with your lives.
In general I agree but intended accuracy and function are the biggest variables here.

It also assumes a few things. First that there is a reasonable competent gunsmith in your area who will install your new barrel. In many areas this is not the case so it can add to the cost. Also to availability of barrels in the future. If I was going this route I would pick up a spare once the savings was recouped from the ammo savings to hedge my bet.

In the end if you only need 4-5" accuracy at 100 yards give or take and steel functions well in your rifle there is nothing wrong with steel cased ammo.

For me the bigger reality is that most people are never going to shoot $1,400 worth of steel cased ammo out of their $500 rifle for it to ever be an issue.

Last edited by WVSig; 03-21-2017 at 08:47 AM.