Thread: Pulling bullets
View Single Post

Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM

Liked 8,052 Times in 3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duman444 View Post
Did not give full info. This is a hard taper crimp that is pushed into sides of bullet, so I don't see how pushing bullet down into case is going to break that crimp?

The other hint about hitting a harder surface is also null as I hit it on the concrete floors of my garage 5 hard blows and could not move it. I have used this to pull lead bullets before and know the amount of force necessary and this is over and above that.

The bullet collet puller just smashes the lead. Would like to save the bullets as well, but I may pull a few with the pliers method described just to check case volume.
I can't explain how or why it works , but it does. Once the crimp is broken the inertia puller will work . I pulled 1000 rounds of US Army surplus 30-06 machine gun ammo , had to remove the linked belts and all ( it was cheap), breaking that crimp first worked, no break = no pulled bullet. Trust me.
It doesn't have to be much.
Another idea that may seem strange is to take a steel sizing die (carbide might break) and size as much of the case/bullet as you can, this will squeeze the lead bullet smaller , hopefully the brass springs back just enough to break the seal.
Might be worth trying....Gary