View Single Post

Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Liked 993 Times in 378 Posts

However, the TiN can be coated selectively. I have drill bits, reamers and milling cutters that have TiN on the business end while not TiNed on the shanks. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the sear surfaces on the hammer or trigger with TiN while the opposing part is finished differently. I don't have any idea how TiN reacts while rubbing against another TiN part. At any rate, I personally haven't found TiN to be some wonder material that makes cutters last significantly longer than quality unTiNed cutters. I think polished nitriding, on one sear surface, to possibly be the way to go.

As a slight aside, my experience with MIM parts goes back to 2012. After many action jobs on my own S&W revolvers, I see no appreciable wear on the MIM parts, at least no more than I see on forged parts, which is also insignificant. Only time will tell.

Some folks just resist change. Myself included, I can't get my head wrapped around smart phones. I feel the phone is laughing at me and saying, ha ha, I'm smarter than you. As far as MIM parts go, I like 'em and if anyone wants to donate their MIM parts to me, I'll take 'em. I like new S&W revolvers. I don't feel in any way handicapped with a new one over an earlier non-MIMed, non-locked model. Ahhh, the locks. Are they MIM? Forget that, it's a subject for another time!