View Single Post

Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,802 Times in 881 Posts
Default MY New Israeli M 39 -2

My very first 9mm was a M39-2, I think that I traded it for a 1911A when I was 17, but I have not had one for a very long time. I never really warmed up to S&W semi autos, I have owned a few M59's, a 3913, but other then the 39 never really liked them. I always preferred the S&W revolvers. Well I had been thinking that it was about time to revisit the 39, the last one I had I think that I was back in about 1979.

At this stage of my life , I am not really into safe queens, I mean really, what do you do with them? Take it out of the safe once in a while, wipe it down, call it "my precious" and put it back? I had been looking on CDI sales site on Gunbroker for awhile for something interesting. They have had a lot of pistols that they have imported from Israel. I had bought a Beretta 84F from them a year and a half ago that was very nice. Right now they have 323 S&W semi autos up for auction on their site. Once and awhile they have a M39 or two.

A week and a half ago on a Saturday night I was on their site and saw a Nickel M39-2 at a starting price of $350. I looked the pictures over and decided that this one would do and put a bid on it. A few days later and one other person bidding on it, I won the auction at $365.

I picked it up today and I really like it! I think that I will letter it just to see where it went from the factory. It was made in 1979-1980 according to the Fourth Edition. The grips are Indian. Kind of cool having a M39-2 nickel that is a world traveler. I communicated with CDI and they confirmed that this came from security services in Israel. It needs a good cleaning, I think that it will make a great shooter!