View Single Post

Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorer951 View Post
Hard to see in your photo, but it looks like the hammer nose bushing may, in fact, be below the level of the breechface as your gunsmith indicated. If it is too low, the primers can back out due to lack of support.
If you have any of the brass you were shooting when the incident occurred, you can have a look at the primer area to see if there is damage or drag marks.
If the bushing is damaged, you will need to send it back to have the bushing replaced/repaired. This particular repair takes special tools and repair parts.
Update: Before sending to S&W I wanted to make sure that was a last resort. When I purchased the revolver, it had not been fired in several months, maybe years. I removed the cylinder and put a real good cleaning on it using a Quad 0 still wool pad. I also cleaned the breechface and firing pin bushing with the Quad 0 as well. I then cleaned the entire gun very well. I took it to the range a couple of days ago and shot of 50 rounds of PMC Bronze, .38 Special, FMJ, 132 Grain and another 50 rounds of Remington UMC .38 Special, MC, 130 Grain. I did not have any cylinder lock ups at all. In fact, it never felt like it may lock up. I took it to the range again today (without cleaning it since the last firing) and shot 100 rounds of Winchester FMJ 130 grain and did not have any cylinder lockups. I guess the good cleaning with the fine quad 0 steel wool must have remove a burr or something. Anyway, I am not sending the revolver to S&W yet. I will keep shooting and see what happens and will post updates.