View Single Post

Old 03-23-2017, 08:27 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,993 Times in 3,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
... The original concept for the .357 Combat Magnum was a K-Frame revolver for LEO's with full target options which fire .38 Special ammo for practice and full power .357 magnum ammo (158 grain bullets were standard at the time) for qualifying and duty carry.
Was that truly the planning for the design or was that policy developed after the fact? The first handgun I ever bought was new Model 19. It's been a long time, but I know I read all the included documentation and I can't remember anything like that in print.

Not arguing, but it seems like if it says .357 Magnum on the barrel, there shouldn't be any caveats. If it can't handle magnums, mark the barrel .38 Special.

We are all familiar with how Ruger advertisements tried to characterize S&Ws as having marginal strength. S&W responded with the "thick hamburger" ad (see below). Now I will grant the ad shows an M686, but it nowhere says anything to the effect "Well, yeah, don't shoot too many .357 Magnums in a K-Frame." Quite the contrary, the wording of the ad doubles down on the claimed strength of ALL S&W revolvers.
Reduced load question-smithwesson-hamburger-war-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smithwesson-hamburger-war.JPG (95.7 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Jack Flash; 03-23-2017 at 08:43 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: