View Single Post

Old 03-23-2017, 04:19 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
Anyone that uses steel wool on a barrel , I'm just glad it's your barrel and not mine . Why even think of taking a chance of damaging a barrel ( over time ) when a better alternative is available ! It's called " Chore Boy " pure copper , no steel . I'll just use the proper tool for the job and not take any chances . To each his own .
Precisely. To each his own.

As to which might be the proper tool for the job, I was trained in my method in a US Army arsenal dealing with small arms of just about every type (US and foreign) for training purposes by thousands of troops. I also spent a 6-month stint with the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit with some of the top shooters and armorers in the US military.

As for taking a chance of damaging a barrel over time, I think I pointed out that my 6" S&W Model 19 has seen over 40 years of service and remains in excellent condition to this day.

Repeat: 0000-grade steel wool will not damage either carbon steel or stainless steel, it has no negative effects on handgun finish or bore quality. This is from long personal experience.

Stick with your Chore Boy if that is what you like. I will continue with my proven methods.

Best regards.
The Following User Likes This Post: