Thread: Extractor
View Single Post

Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 PM

Liked 993 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-37 View Post
I phoned S&W today. They have the part but will not sell it to me. They want me to ship the whole gun to them for repair (not under warranty). The guy wouldn't even give me the part number.

I then phoned LSG Mfg (lsgmfg.com). Frank has the part but will not sell it to me saying there are dire consequences if the extractor is not properly fitted.
He charges $100 for the job and all I have to ship is the slide.

He'll test-fire the slide using his own frame, barrel, etc. You'd think the perfect test would be to use my entire gun.

Too bad the extractor is not a drop-in replacement.
Considering what the other folks said about this not being a drop-in part, I think this is your best option. Price is reasonable and shipping will be cheap since you won't have to ship it overnight as shipping company's require for serial numbered firearms (upwards of $50). If you intend to buy insurance for shipping, tell them exactly what the part (slide) is and that it's not a serial numbered part. You may get a blank stare from the clerk and an attempt to ship it as a firearm. Just ask for a supervisor. Also, it may be better to take it to the shipping company's depot instead of their franchised lackey strip mall store. I tend to avoid all that Bolshevik by just not bothering to insure whatever I'm sending. I just tell 'em that it's a handtool of similar weight and size. It goes without saying you're gonna have to package it yourself. One other thing. Since it's not a firearm, you could simply mail it USPS.

Don't get too caught up in not having you entire firearm on hand. I don't think it's necessary for extractor installation.