View Single Post

Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 PM

Liked 6,616 Times in 2,199 Posts

Proper hammer & rebound seat engagement is the number one safety "mechanism" in the modern DAO/internal hammer S&W's which lack a hammer block.

In the OP's revolver? I'd stop shooting it until the revolver can be examined by a competent smith/tech and corrected.

I had a 629-4 that came with push-off as a standard feature.

Not being a S&W trained armorer at that time, I took it to the head armorer (who was a trained revolver armorer).

Unfortunately, he couldn't adjust the SA notch and correct the condition using the original hammer and trigger in that revolver frame. He said the tolerances and clearances were too far on the wrong ends of proper specs to be able to correct them to work in that frame. Fortunately, we had access to other parts appropriate for that gun, and the armorer was able to easily install them and adjust their fit so they worked in that revolver frame, and without push-off.

Moral of the story?

Sometimes it's a very simple and easy "fix" ... (using the right stone and maintaining the right angle, and not making "1 too many" strokes against the stone ) ... and sometimes it may require new parts. Letting someone do it who has the knowledge, experience and stone (and parts, if necessary), is usually the prudent course of action.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 03-25-2017 at 11:59 PM.