View Single Post

Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,549 Times in 556 Posts

BAM-BAM:
Have you ever seen someone work-out with an 870 who knows what they're doing? Maybe only a hair slower cycling than a semi-auto. It takes a lot of shooting experience, though, I'll admit.

00 BUCK ADVOCATES:
As for the usage of 00 Buck inside the home: You get nine .33 cal balls per average load. At defensive distances (half-a-house length at the most, maybe), if you don't hit your target (the Bad Guy) with the full charge, if at all, you have those HEAVY balls of lead ripping through walls, etc., possibly into the adjacent apartment to do harm to innocents. Unlike in the movies, you just don't make gigantic four-foot holes in a door from ten feet away and the lead stops in it's tracks. You'd be lucky to wind up with a fist sized void, and the charge continues to travel a goodly way. The same pattern with almost any other load, too. But if your choice for a home defense weapon is a shotgun, it is more than prudent to try to mitigate peripheral damage with the usage of a more suitable load like #4 Buck, with 27-28 .24 cal. pellets, or BB, with 50+ .18 cal. pellets. Pretty much standard loadings for 12 ga. 2 3/4". (Side note: If #4 Buck was good enough for Seal Team 2 in Viet Nam, it's damn sure good enough for me!) They will do the job at the distances of which we're speaking and not demolish the neighborhood.

Personally, I use an old 870 beater with an 18 1/2" cylinder-bore barrel, loaded with #4 Buck (Along with home defense, it's also quite handy when it comes to four-legged varmints, too. Add a light and you've got a world-class raccoon eradicator.), plus a handgun and flashlight on the nightstand...
The Following 5 Users Like Post: