View Single Post

Old 03-29-2017, 06:27 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,714 Times in 1,411 Posts

Hello forum;

I collect Smiths and I shoot Smiths. Personally I wouldn't collect what I don't feel comfortable shooting. When that "safe queen protective" feeling gets in ye ole brain (as it did with a 41byf Luger, several Colts...still some left) I sell or trade almost as fast as I can.

To me it is so similar to the hot muscle cars of my youth/young man era.........sure....I drooled about a 66 Vette with the 427, factory side pipes and factory Muncie....but the stars never aligned. What if Generous Motors decided tonight to release a "classic" retro 66 Vette? Even with a "modern" 427 it still would be mandated to run on 10-20% ethanol, no lead, all controlled by some fancy computer, and available with some kind of automatic....just wouldn't be the same for me...no drool factor at all.

The older Smiths? My 1931 Outdoorsman's still kicks b*$$ at the range, fun to shoot (grandkids now, my own kids earlier). My 25-2 .45 ACP?...I've got to post a range report of the B27 reduced (50 foot Police silhouette) with my daughters NC State duty weapon Glock 21 vs. my 25-2. She kicked my b*$$ and put all 13 in the x and 10 rings, but the 25 put 12 in 6 inches, and that was with switching moon clips.

Nostalgia? Just plain fun? I don't care but it just wouldn't be the same (for me) with a "classic" repop. Kinda why I also like my old Dodge Ram (2002) with a "real" 5.97 liter V8 against "new" trucks with a hopped up V6....lets hear your pipes friends.

For the OP......you have it perfectly right, spot on...shoot and have fun with whatever your Smith choice ends up to be...life seems to be very short.
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 2 Users Like Post: