View Single Post

Old 03-29-2017, 06:35 PM

Liked 4,788 Times in 1,677 Posts

I admit to not watching the whole thing. I'm an old white guy, so maybe my encounters with local PD, SO, and State Patrol are not representative of other stops. Indulge me for a couple stories.

I ran a school flashing light at about 35 when the posted speed was 20. There was an LEO facing my direction and I saw him start a U-turn so I pulled over. The first thing he said to me was "Not many people stop before I hit the lights." I said "I did not register the flashing light. I was over the speed and figured you wanted to talk to me." He took my license (I have a clean record) and insurance. Came back to my car and said again "No one stops on their own." I apologized for speeding. He didn't even give me a warning.

On the way home recently, a road I traveled a couple times a day for the last 15 years, I was stopped for 61 in a 55 by the Highway Patrol. He was all business but not rude. Saw my Glock between the seat and console. Said "I see you have a firearm, please keep your hands away from it until we're done here." Wrote me a warning.

When I'm stopped, which is not often, I roll down the window and keep my hands on the steering wheel. I've never thought an officer was fishing or trying to coerce me into anything.

If an officer seems in a bad mood, I take into account that his last stop may have been pulling a dead kid out of a wreck caused by a speeder or some jerk got his grill about the stop.

Last edited by Inusuit; 03-29-2017 at 07:25 PM.