View Single Post

Old 03-30-2017, 02:05 PM
US Veteran

Liked 7,879 Times in 2,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Ease up, Smoke. It ain't the worst thing I've ever heard. You guys wouldn't believe how ignorant people are of the law. I heard one guy cheerfully explain how it was legal to resist arrest by a police officer so long as you believed the arrest wasn't warranted. He also mentioned at least one incident where he committed assault with a deadly weapon, shoving a pistol in some guy's face because he was hanging around outside his yard's fence. A place colloquially known as a "public sidewalk".

People don't understand basic legal concepts, like the reasonable person standard or the duty to retreat in public vs at home.

Now, on the one hand, I'm against government regulation of anything "gun". If I want it, and the police are allowed to have it, I oughta be able to buy it. Black rifles, automatics, subguns, everything.

On the other hand, there's an awful lot of really stupid people out there.

My conclusion is that nitwits with CCWs are the price we'd have to pay. Hell, lack of a CCW permit process didn't stop said nitwits in my neck of the woods before. And, if I believe in individual responsibility, then I can't use the "but people are dumb" excuse.

I also don't think that written CCW tests are particularly effective at filtering out problem idiots. If you've got a 50-question test, and require a 90% to pass, then that means you can screw up 5 really critical concepts. Forget ensuring people "train" or somesuch. There's simply no way unless you embraced subjective standards.
If you want to mandate training for exercising a civil liberty, I want you to show me that not mandating training, which is the norm, is causing a real problem.

At present 16 (?) states permit "Constitutional Carry" (no permit required to carry a firearm period.) Several states issue permits with no training requirement at all and several others allow permitless open carry (Again no training requirement).

According to the CDC accidental firearms deaths are at an all time low while firearms ownership is at historic highs.

There are already a whole bunch of people out there carrying guns with no mandated training at all where are all the firearms related accidents

Last edited by Smoke; 03-30-2017 at 02:14 PM.