View Single Post

Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 PM
US Veteran

Liked 7,844 Times in 2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford57 View Post
I may lose my good guy card for this, but with rights come responsibilities. I have the right to vote by simple virtue of reaching age 18, but knowing how to use it wisely is not automatic. That's why we have (or at least once had) Civics classes to help students understand their rights.

Knowing how to use a gun safely and effectively is not automatic by virtue of birth in the United States. I had the advantage of being raised by someone familiar with firearms who thought 5 years was a good age to start learning safety and proficiency. Not everyone did.

I don't like state-mandated training in principle, but it has done a world of good in Illinois in practice. Several people I know took advantage of the fact that firearms instructors and buyers were allowed to come out of the shadows and took training before even deciding whether to exercise their right to keep and bear arms. The requirement of training and range qualification created a market. In my county and 2 adjacent there are at least 3 times the number of indoor ranges that there were before the CCL law was passed. Would the market continue to support all of them if the permit system ended? I don't know.

Robert A. Heinlein
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.”

― Robert A. Heinlein