View Single Post

Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

It seems like every gun forum, firearms-related website and blog, and every pro-gun group in the country (including the NRA) has fallen all over themselves over Gorsuch and because of the headline that reads "Neil Gorsuch Backs Supreme Court's Key Gun Rights Ruling As 'The Law Of The Land'."

Far as I'm concerned, Gorsuch is an unknown factor when it comes to 2A rights and issues. The cold hard fact is that Neil Gorsuch has not said one single word that indicates he "backs" the Supreme Court's ruling on Heller. He said that it's established law, it's the law of the land, and he'll follow the law. That gives no indication whatsoever about what he thinks of the decision, or how he would have ruled had he been on the Supreme Court. He totally and artfully dodged the question when asked if he agreed with the Court's ruling on Heller.

Gorsuch has made no judicial ruling on Heller. He has expressed no judicial or personal opinion on the merits of the Heller case. And that's because he knows that the less he says about 2A rights, or any other hot button topic, the better it'll be for him until he gets confirmed. He just about has to cloak his answers to the committee in ambiguity. And he's had no impact on any prior or pending 2A legislation. Federal judges do not legislate, period.

All the pro-gun people are looking at Gorsuch through some sort of rose colored Second Amendment lens. They believe that because of his ideological leanings, he will rule in favor of pro-gun issues each and every time...when in fact, his prior decisions on 2A cases are few and far between. Pro-gun people are looking at Gorsuch as he relates to only one issue. It's a one-issue thing for them.

Neil Gorsuch has stated that "Second Amendment rights should not be infringed upon lightly." (The italics are mine). By adding that qualifier, he leaves the door wide open for certain levels of infringement.

Gorsuch wants to be confirmed. He probably will be. But until he is, and until he sits on that bench and rules on a 2A-related case, gun owners have no idea of his true feelings on the Second Amendment or any other gun-related issue. And his possible confirmation will do absolutely nothing to change existing gun laws until they might come before the Court.

As I said in another post somewhere in this 2A Forum, if y'all think Gorsuch is going to be some sort of Second Amendment savior, or will wave his magic Supreme Court wand over every 2A issue and law, you're in for a disappointment.

All this is my opinion, but it's mostly fact-based. Some of you might not like it. That's fine.

Have a good day.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: