View Single Post

Old 04-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Liked 548 Times in 311 Posts

I'm going to join the side who supports carrying insurance for such unforeseen circumstances. I've been carrying professional liability insurance for 20 years but have never needed to use it. That said, I know there can be some sticky situations where politics attempt to override legal precedence and it could come in handy. An example of this is on the civilian side is the George Zimmerman case. I don't know how much his defense cost him, but I doubt it was something he had budgeted. I know I don't $50-100K set aside. A couple of other cases (not self defense) come to mind from the left coast where a couple of innocent men got charged with stuff they didn't do, likely for political reasons, and probably a bit of "guilt by appearance" factored in. They were ultimately were acquitted, but at great expense. Good attorneys and credible expert witnesses who are able to deflate windbags and debunk myths do not come cheap.

In the next couple of years, I'm going to retire and will need to consider some form of insurance. I do not plan on further treading in harm's way, but neither do the vast majority of people who get backed into a corner and have to defend themselves. Having some entity or network that knows the ropes, knows who to call on your behalf, and can cover some if not all of unbudgeted expenses is worth a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by walkin' trails; 04-02-2017 at 12:03 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: