View Single Post

Old 04-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Liked 693 Times in 292 Posts

I 100% agree with the thread starter. As a 21 yr. police officer myself, the absolutely DUMBEST thing to do is to go and find the trouble (barring any very extenuating circumstances) as mentioned by other posters.

What if the neighbor saw the perp and called 911 unbeknownst to you? Now you may run headlong into the cavalry armed and in your under-britches ....not good for anyone. Likewise, we (police) do not do solo building searches at anytime. That is just flat stupid! Staying put in a defensive spot is much better and gives you the advantage vs. the perp who has to find you & are generally more exposed.

As far as 9mm carbine's go, I'd use caution on that one. Our 9mm duty rounds: 124g GDHP from 4-4.5" Glock barrels penetrate very well and usually traverse the thorax of an adult stopping on the other side. Launch that out of a 16+" barrel that may be an issue inside a home.

Frankly, the 55 gr. .223 HP or ballistic tip rounds are devastating and will not over penetrate. Trust me, my agency has had to use their rifles more than a few times and the rounds never OP'd anyone, yet the damage was severe. Pistol rounds have OP'd from time to time. I would rather use a shotgun or small caliber rifle round for home defense.

*I was told by an officer in a smaller northern AZ town about some fool who used an S&W .500 4" [w/muzzle brake] for home defense. It didn't end well...he missed the perp, damaged his trailer pretty bad, blew his own ear drums out and the bullet (thank God) hit a ponderosa pine & not a human. Nonetheless, a poor choice overall. However, the perp did run like a chicken on fire!

The rifle rounds are loud as hell as we all know, but then again ANY round discharging inside a room is loud! More than likely with one person shooting, high stress etc. auditory exclusion will be present so I wouldn't sweat that. It's the entry team of multiple SWAT dudes shooting select fire SBR's that deafen people.

A good solid scatter gun is still one of the best choices. Wheelguns are good to, they just go bang when you pull the bang switch.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: